Apple Dessert Cake
Adapted from Mary Berry
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
225g caster sugar (½ subbed for granulated sweetener here)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon almond extract
150g butter, melted (½ subbed for 80g applesauce)
250g apples, peeled and cored (~ 2 apples, 1 Royal Gala and 1 Granny Smith used here)
25g flaked almonds
To serve: icing sugar, crème fraîche, ice cream, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F and grease a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin
2. Measure flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract, and butter into a bowl. Stir together and then beat for 1 minute until combined.
3. Spread half the batter into the prepared tin.
4. Chop the apples thickly then lay them on top of the mixture in the tin, piling them towards the centre.
5. Roughly spoon the remaining batter over the apples – this may be awkward. Make sure the batter covers the centre well as it will spread in the oven.
6. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1¼ hours (time will depend on your oven – original recipe suggested up to 1 ½ hours) until golden and coming away from the sides of the tin.
– Recipe yields 8 servings
– Each cookie contains ~290 calories, 41g carbs, 6g protein, and 11g fat
- Posted in: Sweets & Snacks
- Tagged: almond cake, almond essence, almonds, apple, apple cake, apple dessert, apple recipes, autumn desserts, baking, breakfast cake, breakfast ideas, cake, Christmas baking, dessert, healthy cake, healthy recipes, Mary Berry, metric, nutrition information, The Very Best Apple Dessert Cake, winter desserts