Mango and Ginger Chutney
1 kg (1000g) mango flesh, chopped (approximately 4 mangos)
1 onion, finely chopped
350ml white wine vinegar
225g brown sugar
5 cm/2 inch piece root ginger, grated
50g sultanas (golden raisins)
110g glacé ginger (or stem ginger), finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
*Recipe will also require a number of jars, enough for 1 ½ litres of chutney should be sufficient.
1. Put mangoes, onions, salt, and vinegar into a large pan and cook gently until onions begin to soften
2. Add sugar and heat gently until sugar has dissolved. Bring to boil, stirring.
3. Add remaining ingredients and cook gently for 40-60 minutes until thick and vinegar absorbed.
4. Discard cinnamon stick and spoon into hot sterilised jars, covering and sealing them.
– Recipe yields ~1kg/35oz chutney.