Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
115g unsalted butter
2 large eggs
200g granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
20g unsweetened cocoa powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
15ml (3 teaspoons) liquid/gel red food colouring
¾ teaspoon white vinegar
95g all purpose-flour
225g cream cheese, softened
50g granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
*I have not as of yet attempted any substitutions in this recipe and cannot vouch for the results of any made.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and spray/line an 8×8 baking tray
For the brownie
2. Melt the butter in the microwave.
3. Whisk the following into the butter in this order: sugar, vanilla essence, cocoa powder, food colouring, and vinegar.
3. Beat together eggs until combined, then whisk into the butter mixture.
4. Fold in the flour until completely incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
For the cheesecake swirl
5. Beat all ingredients for the cheesecake swirl (cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla) with a mixer on medium speed until smooth.
6. Pour approximately ¾ of the brownie batter into the prepared pan, reserving 3-4 tablespoons
7. Dollop spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie batter in the pan
8. Cover with remaining brownie batter
9. Glide a knife through the layers to create a swirl pattern
10. Bake for 28-30 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
– Recipe yields 16 servings
– Each cookie contains ~204 calories, 20g carbs, 3g protein, and 12g fat