Adapted from Exclusively Food
375g (2½ metric cups) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons mixed spice
3 teaspoons ground ginger
140g butter, softened (add ¼ teaspoon salt if using unsalted)
130g brown sugar
125ml (about 170g) golden syrup, treacle, or even molasses (golden syrup used here)
1 egg yolk
*Icing & lollies, to decorate if desired.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
2. Sift flour, baking soda, mixed spice, and ginger into a bowl and set aside
3. Beat butter and brown sugar together until well combined and mixture is creamy
4. Add treacle/syrup/molasses and egg yolk to the butter mixture and beat until combined – about 30 seconds
5. Slowly beat or stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
6. Bring dough together with hands into a ball. Divide into two.
7. Place one half of the dough between two sheets of baking paper on a tray or chopping board and roll until about 4-5mm thick. Repeat with other half of dough.
8. Place rolled dough in the freezer or refrigerator for at least 15 to 30 minutes respectively until chilled
9. Remove chilled dough and use cookie cutter to cut shapes from the dough.
10. Transfer shapes onto a lined baking tray, about 2cm apart. Bake for around 10-15 minutes and allow to cool on a baking tray.
11. Decorate with icing and lollies, as desired.
– Recipe yields 34 servings
– Each cookie (unfrosted) contains ~103 calories, 16g carbs, 1g protein, and 3g fat