500g lamb shoulder, cut into 3cm pieces (I only had 410g of lamb leg steak)
1 medium brown onion, sliced thinly
10g fresh ginger, sliced thinly
1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
1 small red capsicum, chopped coarsley
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground allspice
½ cinnamon stick
1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
1 tablespoon lime juice
20-25g firmly packed brown sugar (20g used here, to taste)
Vegetable oil, as required for cooking
1. Cook lamb, in batches, until browned all over. Set aside.
2. Cook onion, ginger, chilli, capsicum, and spices in a pan until the onion softens.
3. Add lamb and remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, until lamb is tender
* Original recipe states to simmer for about 1hr, using a fattier cut of meat than I did. I used a pressure cooker and had it done in 25 minutes.
– Recipe yields 2 servings (when served alone)
– Each serving contains ~422 calories, 30g carbs, 104g protein, and 10g fat
– Recipe yields 4 servings (when served with rice)
– Each serving (no rice) contains ~211 calories, 15g carbs, 52g protein, and 5g fat
– Each serving (with 50g raw weight uncooked rice) contains ~394 calories, 55g carbs, 56g protein, and 5g fat