Turkish Chicken Pilaf w/ Almonds
500g chicken breast, in bite-size chunks
20g (4 cloves) garlic, minced
1 large brown onion, diced
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
1 teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 anchovies, roughly chopped
1 cup (250ml) water
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
300g or 1½ cups (raw weight) basmati rice
45g slivered almonds
Salt and pepper, to taste
Parsley, to serve
- Melt a third of the butter in a pan. Add chicken and cook in batches before setting aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a pan. Add garlic, almonds, and onion and cook until onion is soft.
- Add spices, anchovies, and currants. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the uncooked rice and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and water, then bring the mixture to the boil then reduce the heat.
- Allow the mixture to simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is just tender.
- Stir chicken into the pilaf mixture and cook, covered, until heated through.
- Serve pilaf sprinkled with chilli and parsley.
– Recipe yields 5 servings
– Each serving (no rice) contains ~500 calories, 61g carbs, 33g protein, and 10g fat