Adapted from Manila Spoon
500g beef mince
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves (~15g), minced
2 celery stalks, sliced ~½ inch thickness
½ green bell pepper (capsicum), diced
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (can omit and add ½ teaspoon cumin if preferred)
1 (~15oz/400g) tin black beans, drained & rinsed
1 (~15oz/400g) tin diced tomatoes (with green chillies, if available)
1¼ cups (310ml) beef stock (more, if required)
15g-30g (½oz-1oz) 70%+ dark chocolate (depending on your tastes)
Olive oil, as required
To serve: sour cream, cheese, cilantro, rice, etc.
1. Brown the beef in a deep pot or pan, seasoning with salt and pepper
2. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and capsicum and cook for 6-8 minutes until vegetables have softened
3. Reduce the heat and stir in the spices – cocoa powder, chilli powder, cumin, and cinnamon.
4. Continue cooking on low for 3-4 minutes before adding the beans, tomatoes, and stock
5. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, on low for about 1 hour (or transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours)
6. At the end of the cooking, add the chocolate and let it melt, stirring it in.
7. Serve with sour cream, cheese, cilantro, rice, etc. if desired.
– Recipe yields 4 servings
– Each serving (chilli only) contains ~353 calories, 35g carbs, 33g protein, and 8g fat
- Posted in: Main Meals
- Tagged: beef mince, beef stock, black beans, celery, cheese, chili, chili con carne, chilli, chilli con carne, chilli powder, chocolate, cilantro, cinnamon, cocoa powder, cooking, crock pot, cumin, dark chocolate, diced tomatoes, dinner ideas, garlic, ground beef, metric, onion, rice, slow cooked, slow cooker, sour cream, stew