Spaghetti Bolognese (w/ Bacon)
Adapted from andybalmer
500g beef mince
500g dried spaghetti
2 carrots, trimmed & finely diced (~200g)
2 brown onions, peeled & finely diced (~355g)
2 celery sticks, trimmed & finely diced (~70g)
250g bacon (or bacon-style bits), finely diced
2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
50g tomato paste
6 fresh cherry tomatoes, halved (~70g)
50g Parmesan cheese, grated (or more, to taste + extra to serve)
10g minced garlic (or 2 cloves, finely diced)
1 beef stock cube
2 dried bay leaves (or 1-2 fresh)
½ teaspoon dried rosemary (or 2-3 fresh sprigs, leaves removed)
½ teaspoon chilli flakes (or 1 medium chilli, seeded & finely sliced – optional)
1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 handful fresh, chopped finely)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt & pepper (to taste)
1. Fry bacon in a large pan over medium heat until golden and crisp
2. Reduce heat slightly and add carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and rosemary. Fry for 8-10 minutes until vegetables are softened.
3. Increase the heat and add the beef mince. Continue cooking until meat is browned.
4. Add tinned tomatoes, oregano, basil, bay leaves, chilli flakes, stock cube, tomato paste, and cherry tomatoes. Bring to gentle simmer.
5. Reduce heat and cover pan, allowing sauce to simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent catching.
6. While sauce is simmering, cook spaghetti in salted water according to package directions
7. When nearly cooked, stir Parmesan through the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste
8. Remove from heat and serve over spaghetti with extra cheese (if so desired)
– Recipe yields 6 servings
– Each serving (sauce only) contains ~295 calories, 29g carbs, 29g protein, and 11g fat
– Each serving (with spaghetti) contains ~605 calories, 76g carbs, 29g protein, and 13g fat